Skip to main content

SOMNIAC!

There are so many sleep quotes out there that thinking of one to use was a whole other thing. I however remember one that used to amuse me terribly while I in school. Our Headmaster at the time had a famous scripture that was his motto for spurring kids to wake up for morning prep;

Proverbs  6
 Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.

Without having any chief, officer, or ruler,

she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest.

How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep?

10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
    a little folding of the hands to rest, 11 and poverty will come upon you like a robber,
    and want like an armed man.
Of course at that age one wonders if reading at 6am was really that big a deal considering most people slept right through the prep. His emphasis was usually verse 10 but I enjoyed reading from verse 6 as it puts things a little more into perspective.

At this age, I now know for a fact that sleep is a robber of time; especially when it becomes a luxury! I have friends who are always between sleep and planning their next sleep marathon and honestly, I never get it. Given the number of hours I sleep, I always feel like I’m losing too much time.

Don’t get me wrong; sleep is very important. It really is but one has to moderate it. How does a grown human being sleep for 10-12 hours every day? That’s one whole day lost in just two nights of sleep! Does that not bother you? And if not, why does it not bother you?

Is it just that life is not all that or do you believe that you will somehow create that time in the future? I think a young person should get 6-8hours of sleep on average. I hear you saying

“What! My body needs more than that!”

No! You tell yourself that because you’re looking for an excuse to stay in bed instead of using your time more productively. The amazing thing is we all have the same 24hours a day but what we do with it is totally dependent on each of us. No one is measuring who has achieved what at what age because our journeys are not the same but you can gauge how productive you are being with the time that you have.

Some of us don’t even pray because we never make the time and besides we believe ‘God will understand’. After all, God knows that we’re tired. We spend too much time doing nothing with what should be our productive hours and then start to complain about exhaustion when serious things need to be done.

Your time belongs to you. Make it count. Prioritise, allocate it wisely and bear in mind that whatever time you lose, you will never re-gain!

That texting, Whatsapping, pointless scrolling through social media can wait for your less productive hours to entertain you, if it’s entertainment you’re looking for.  Instead of gaping at other people’s accomplishments on your productive time, make an effort to accomplish your own things.

Use your time wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivalism- the concept

Not too many things in life crack me up as much as the arrivalist. The embodiment of the concept is immaturely grown up that it puzzles me; the paradox that is arrivalism. Maybe before we go too far, let’s try and define this thing. My use of the word arrivalism in this article describes the mentality or false feeling of accomplishment or reaching the top of the road in a particular field. A case in point would be the upcoming musician whose music starts to enjoy massive airplay across media platforms or the socialite who starts getting noticed by and featured in tabloids. That sudden sense of accomplishment (adrenaline rush kind of thing), that gets to the head of the individual feeling it- that right there is arrivalism. When what should be a possible pit stop in life’s journey becomes the final destination because of pride( or as we’d say in Uganda ‘posing’). It really is just extreme pride in an achievement that is probably not that big a deal and more often t

TEENAGE PREGNANCY IN UGANDA

She got married at 15, had her first child at 16, then the other two at 18 and 19years of age respectively. So is the story of Nankya. Her marriage was arranged so that immediately she finished her primary school education she was married off. "When I was about to seat for PLE, a certain man came to my parents home in the village and I was asked to serve the visitor. Being my mother’s daughter I had been taught what to do and how to do it and mainly because I was the first girl I used to do a lot of housework. So, over the years I had perfected various skills. After the meal, my parents left me to talk to the man who then told me that he was going to marry me and make me his wife and the mother of his children. I was really happy because among my peers, I was the first to get married and that brought pride to my family." Nankya’s happiness however was short-lived as she became a slave to this man’s wants and desires and if she even as much as grumbled about

Does Femininity = Weakness?

'You are a very strong woman,' she remarked 'So you can easily handle people who try and walk all over you.' 'Um... Okay.' I mumbled trying to internalize her angle of this thing. Mel had been dealing with a 'disgruntled' male colleague and in the middle of their discourse, she burst into tears. Now, for some people that may be a natural response to frustration and to others, it is just foreign. We ask ourselves questions like 'who cries in public' or go ahead and remember statements like 'never give anyone the satisfaction of seeing your tears' Recently, my workplace was doing interviews and we posed the generic question; what is your weakness? and it turned out tears were the weakness for a few of the interviewees. Can the strength of God be made perfect in out tears and frustration? I think this article by Mategyero will help answer that question. 1Peter 3:7 says; Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge