Skip to main content

'Expectation Adjustments'

Have you ever been so psyched up about a particular prospect that you put all your energies in attempting to pursue it? Well, I suppose we've all been there one way or the other- pumped to the brim with adrenaline from the possibility of something working out for us in a way we hope it will.

I suppose that's a good place to be; to have some sort of purpose or end you're working towards and are focused on. I know I really appreciate focus- I'm a strong believer in purpose and it's accomplishment.

So may I ask, what happens when despite your psych, you realise that you never had what it took to actually make the cut for this thing you were pursuing? What then? Do you curl up in a ball? Do you curse the world? Do you shake it off and move on to the next prospect? What do you do?

Of course all the above are possible options and so much more: some I have not thought of. Generally speaking though, it would be a question of dealing with disappointment! How does one deal when the world has been pulled out from under them? How do you not let it bother you or better still how do you deal with the fact that it bothers you? Because let's face it- it's only natural that disappointment should bother you unless the thing you thought you wanted really wasn't that important to you in the first place!

Anyway, so how does one deal with disappointment?

I think, the first thing would be to understand that it is totally normal/ human to be disappointed. It is okay for you to feel whatever emotions are a result of you being disappointed and as such, it's of even greater importance to learn how to deal with those emotions. Find your own way healthy of dealing.

Also, don't take it too personal. Many times disappointment is not because you're such an undeserving person- you just didn't make the cut and that's all there is to it. So don't go into regret mode or depression.

Instead, take another look at your expectations. This is usually the root of disappointment. What do you need to change and how can you change it? What do you need to scrape off your list and what needs to be added to it?

Appreciate what you have learnt from the rejection and aim smarter and bigger depending on your 'expectation- adjustments'.

Above all, don't resent who or what you had decided to pursue simply because you weren't welcomed with open arms. If anything, you can now go upgrade and give it another try- you just never know how it may work out for you!

Comments

Unknown said…
True. One for the archive

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivalism- the concept

Not too many things in life crack me up as much as the arrivalist. The embodiment of the concept is immaturely grown up that it puzzles me; the paradox that is arrivalism. Maybe before we go too far, let’s try and define this thing. My use of the word arrivalism in this article describes the mentality or false feeling of accomplishment or reaching the top of the road in a particular field. A case in point would be the upcoming musician whose music starts to enjoy massive airplay across media platforms or the socialite who starts getting noticed by and featured in tabloids. That sudden sense of accomplishment (adrenaline rush kind of thing), that gets to the head of the individual feeling it- that right there is arrivalism. When what should be a possible pit stop in life’s journey becomes the final destination because of pride( or as we’d say in Uganda ‘posing’). It really is just extreme pride in an achievement that is probably not that big a deal and more often t

Does Femininity = Weakness?

'You are a very strong woman,' she remarked 'So you can easily handle people who try and walk all over you.' 'Um... Okay.' I mumbled trying to internalize her angle of this thing. Mel had been dealing with a 'disgruntled' male colleague and in the middle of their discourse, she burst into tears. Now, for some people that may be a natural response to frustration and to others, it is just foreign. We ask ourselves questions like 'who cries in public' or go ahead and remember statements like 'never give anyone the satisfaction of seeing your tears' Recently, my workplace was doing interviews and we posed the generic question; what is your weakness? and it turned out tears were the weakness for a few of the interviewees. Can the strength of God be made perfect in out tears and frustration? I think this article by Mategyero will help answer that question. 1Peter 3:7 says; Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge

TEENAGE PREGNANCY IN UGANDA

She got married at 15, had her first child at 16, then the other two at 18 and 19years of age respectively. So is the story of Nankya. Her marriage was arranged so that immediately she finished her primary school education she was married off. "When I was about to seat for PLE, a certain man came to my parents home in the village and I was asked to serve the visitor. Being my mother’s daughter I had been taught what to do and how to do it and mainly because I was the first girl I used to do a lot of housework. So, over the years I had perfected various skills. After the meal, my parents left me to talk to the man who then told me that he was going to marry me and make me his wife and the mother of his children. I was really happy because among my peers, I was the first to get married and that brought pride to my family." Nankya’s happiness however was short-lived as she became a slave to this man’s wants and desires and if she even as much as grumbled about