Skip to main content

I thought I was God

'Everyone is entitled to their opinions and if you don't agree with what I say, take a walk!'

Quite rude huh?! But how many times have you been on the receiving end let alone the saying end of this statement? I have never said that you respond. Fair enough; how many times have you subconsciously rubbished people's opinions because they are different from yours? How many times have you mentally rolled your eyes at what someone said because it was different from your school of thought?

It's a Selah moment, right?

I came to my computer to write about one thing but ended up picking inspiration to write about another. One of my friends, Samuel Kamugisha shared an article he wrote 'The Power Of Why' and it got me thinking. His article tackles some of my latest reflections. Also, needless to say, the first thing I did was correct a grammatical mistake which he welcomed with open hands. Imagine if he had rubbished my contribution?

A lot of my friends remark that I seem very introspective lately, and I guess it comes with life, no? Growing up, I was a very opinionated person and some will argue that I still am but I don't blame them because they didn't know me back then. I would shut down your opinion any chance I got because I was convinced that what I had to say was probably more important than what you thought you had to say. Like Samuel would say about this attitude, I thought I was God; I knew everything about everything and my opinion was the final say.

I could easily say I am wiser now but instead, I shall say my exposure has shown me that formation of opinions is multifaceted. People form opinions based on whichever attitude filters have been presented them in the course of their existence. So my attitude is more 'why do they see life this way?' rather than 'they ought to see life the way I do'.

As a result, I ask questions. Almost too many but just enough to inform me on the kind of person I am engaging with. However, this shall be a topic for another day. Instead, can I challenge you to question your opinions? Instead of vehemently insisting on a particular thing, would you challenge yourself to understand other people's school of thought? Where they are coming from and why they believe what they believe? Either way, no doctor prescribes meds without first diagnosing the issue (and that is assuming that you are a doctor).

If someone challenges your opinion, don't take it personally. It's not an attack on you as a person, the 'attack' is directed at what you believe. If you can defend it, defend it. If you can't, sit down, be humble, listen and learn. You never know what will cause you to re-think what you always thought was the truth.

Blessings.



Comments

Unknown said…
Insightful blog Jay... separating the attack from oneself is the tough bit, once we go past that, then we are going somewhere. So help us God to fight self-centeredness
Unknown said…
Powerful insight thanks jessy
Ron Asiimwe said…
Very powerful, Jessy. I like the doctor's analogy; we cant continueto think that our opinions are the "rightones" when we have no diagnosis of where the other person is coming from. In fact, i tend to think that the true love Christ calls us to, is one where we create a safe space for those whose opinions are distinct from ours. Just because i dont believe something doesnt make it wrong. I think if we paid attention to the fact that God created us uniquely, then we would learn to listen to others opinions. There power is staying curious amd asking questions where we dontunderstand rather than making misguided conclusions. Thank you for challenging us, Jessy. Blessings!
Unknown said…
Yus!! True thanks Jay.

To so easily feel attacked...
What are we protecting ourselves from? Is there a deeper place that this attitude comes from?

I have always wondered.
Unknown said…
Story of my life. Lots of insight Jess. My opinion too was a challenge since it suffocated those directly under me. As a result I now seek to understand first (like you do say) than to Knbe understood. Then I gladly assert my position, jealously defending it.
5ive Wads said…
I want to reply each individual comment but looks like there's no provision. I really identify with all the thoughts shared;

Absa, it is a daily fight to take our eyes off of ourselves and onto Jesus. To emulate Christ and have the kind of compassion that He does. Not in our ability but through His given to us as we become more like Him.

Like Karen says, it's so easy to feel attacked. But now that you ask that question Karen, I find myself wondering the same thing 'What are we protecting ourselves from and why do we feel the need to protect ourselves?'

And yes, Emma I am on that journey too. Constantly learning to still my tongue and not engage until I have my facts right. Then I am in a position to respond without unnecessary personal biases.

Ron, my favourite line of your response is this; 'There power is staying curious and asking questions where we don't understand rather than making misguided conclusions' Wow! May we learn to ask why!

Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts beautiful people.

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivalism- the concept

Not too many things in life crack me up as much as the arrivalist. The embodiment of the concept is immaturely grown up that it puzzles me; the paradox that is arrivalism. Maybe before we go too far, let’s try and define this thing. My use of the word arrivalism in this article describes the mentality or false feeling of accomplishment or reaching the top of the road in a particular field. A case in point would be the upcoming musician whose music starts to enjoy massive airplay across media platforms or the socialite who starts getting noticed by and featured in tabloids. That sudden sense of accomplishment (adrenaline rush kind of thing), that gets to the head of the individual feeling it- that right there is arrivalism. When what should be a possible pit stop in life’s journey becomes the final destination because of pride( or as we’d say in Uganda ‘posing’). It really is just extreme pride in an achievement that is probably not that big a deal and more often t

TEENAGE PREGNANCY IN UGANDA

She got married at 15, had her first child at 16, then the other two at 18 and 19years of age respectively. So is the story of Nankya. Her marriage was arranged so that immediately she finished her primary school education she was married off. "When I was about to seat for PLE, a certain man came to my parents home in the village and I was asked to serve the visitor. Being my mother’s daughter I had been taught what to do and how to do it and mainly because I was the first girl I used to do a lot of housework. So, over the years I had perfected various skills. After the meal, my parents left me to talk to the man who then told me that he was going to marry me and make me his wife and the mother of his children. I was really happy because among my peers, I was the first to get married and that brought pride to my family." Nankya’s happiness however was short-lived as she became a slave to this man’s wants and desires and if she even as much as grumbled about

Does Femininity = Weakness?

'You are a very strong woman,' she remarked 'So you can easily handle people who try and walk all over you.' 'Um... Okay.' I mumbled trying to internalize her angle of this thing. Mel had been dealing with a 'disgruntled' male colleague and in the middle of their discourse, she burst into tears. Now, for some people that may be a natural response to frustration and to others, it is just foreign. We ask ourselves questions like 'who cries in public' or go ahead and remember statements like 'never give anyone the satisfaction of seeing your tears' Recently, my workplace was doing interviews and we posed the generic question; what is your weakness? and it turned out tears were the weakness for a few of the interviewees. Can the strength of God be made perfect in out tears and frustration? I think this article by Mategyero will help answer that question. 1Peter 3:7 says; Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge