Skip to main content

Should I hate marriage?

Someone asked me if I hate marriage... Yes, I was actually asked if I hate marriage. I couldn't help but laugh at the question because who honestly hates marriage? The more I thought of it though, the more I tried to understand why that would be their general impression of me in that regard!

I love marriage or at least the thought of it as I have not been married before. However, what I have an issue with is people viewing marriage as some sort of destination. The mentality of arrivalism because one has been married(wedded) is what really irks me so very much. Because you see, for a very long time I believed that marriage was some sort of major accomplishment!!!

Don't get me wrong, maybe it is for certain people who have allowed society to let them believe it is. For this reason, many people will readily put their lives, even themselves on hold because they're looking to settle down. They continually mold themselves into who they hope the person they'll settle down with will want them to be. I totally disagree with that because then why have we been made individuals?

If your individual traits cannot get you that which you think you're looking for, then you're simply a mold of societal expectation!

And because everyone is trying to be the person that gets hooked based on what they think is required of them, the world lacks so much originality! There is too much 'fake' going around in the name of getting hooked. I believe you can only be someone else for so long. Very soon, and I mean very soon, it will frustrate you so much that the very thing you thought you wanted- so badly- will become the thing you try to get rid of!

Why you ask? Because you were made to be you not who everyone else thinks you should be. Therefore, in relation to the above question, if marriage is a pit stop in life's journey in which individuality is not crushes out of insecurity bred in selfishness, I will celebrate it but if a person marries trying to fit into society's mold, then I will raise dust about it.

Either way, marriage is a beautiful thing: get married for the right reason!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivalism- the concept

Not too many things in life crack me up as much as the arrivalist. The embodiment of the concept is immaturely grown up that it puzzles me; the paradox that is arrivalism. Maybe before we go too far, let’s try and define this thing. My use of the word arrivalism in this article describes the mentality or false feeling of accomplishment or reaching the top of the road in a particular field. A case in point would be the upcoming musician whose music starts to enjoy massive airplay across media platforms or the socialite who starts getting noticed by and featured in tabloids. That sudden sense of accomplishment (adrenaline rush kind of thing), that gets to the head of the individual feeling it- that right there is arrivalism. When what should be a possible pit stop in life’s journey becomes the final destination because of pride( or as we’d say in Uganda ‘posing’). It really is just extreme pride in an achievement that is probably not that big a deal and more often t

TEENAGE PREGNANCY IN UGANDA

She got married at 15, had her first child at 16, then the other two at 18 and 19years of age respectively. So is the story of Nankya. Her marriage was arranged so that immediately she finished her primary school education she was married off. "When I was about to seat for PLE, a certain man came to my parents home in the village and I was asked to serve the visitor. Being my mother’s daughter I had been taught what to do and how to do it and mainly because I was the first girl I used to do a lot of housework. So, over the years I had perfected various skills. After the meal, my parents left me to talk to the man who then told me that he was going to marry me and make me his wife and the mother of his children. I was really happy because among my peers, I was the first to get married and that brought pride to my family." Nankya’s happiness however was short-lived as she became a slave to this man’s wants and desires and if she even as much as grumbled about

Does Femininity = Weakness?

'You are a very strong woman,' she remarked 'So you can easily handle people who try and walk all over you.' 'Um... Okay.' I mumbled trying to internalize her angle of this thing. Mel had been dealing with a 'disgruntled' male colleague and in the middle of their discourse, she burst into tears. Now, for some people that may be a natural response to frustration and to others, it is just foreign. We ask ourselves questions like 'who cries in public' or go ahead and remember statements like 'never give anyone the satisfaction of seeing your tears' Recently, my workplace was doing interviews and we posed the generic question; what is your weakness? and it turned out tears were the weakness for a few of the interviewees. Can the strength of God be made perfect in out tears and frustration? I think this article by Mategyero will help answer that question. 1Peter 3:7 says; Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge