Skip to main content

All of your heart.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.

I recently have been reading ‘Boy meets Girl’ by Joshua Harris- a book on Courtship and all that. Seated in a taxi this morning, I came to the end of this book that has been my travel companion for the last couple of days(mainly the past week really). So at the end of the book, the writer goes ahead to explain his reasons for writing and lo and behold; it didn’t have very much to do with helping you find the love of your life and all that. He hoped that by reading the book, we’d be drawn to a more intimate relationship with God!

He quoted Prov 3:3-5;

Alighting from the taxi, all that occupied my mind was this portion of scripture. Memory upon memory flooded my mind! When I was a child, we sang it as a song in Sunday school and the more I thought, the more things that occurred to me to think about!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

When I thought of these words, I then had to ask myself what their implied meaning was. If it says trust in the Lord with ALL YOUR HEART does it infer that trust can come from only part of the heart? Does it mean that we can trust with only a part of us- not fully/ entirely? And if we can, does that count as trust?

I quickly thought of so many instances where I trust God at my convenience! It made me think of parts of my life where ‘IT’S SIMPLY NONE OF GOD’S BUSINESS!’ I may not come outright and say that, however my actions do!

I will quickly and readily trust Him with my relationship with HIM but there are things that I like to do by myself and not ‘bother Him’ because ‘I gat this!’ So in reality, I trust Him with only part of my heart.

The scripture continues to say, and lean not on your own understanding! Trust in God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. I don’t think these are random words put together. I would like to think this choice of words is intentional! To trust in God with all your heart, means your own understanding MUST make it’s way out of the equation! Your understanding has to give way to this full trust in God. In other words, you don’t lean on your ability to comprehend (use your mental capacity to decipher) the will of God but rather you trust where or what He has called you to in whichever season of your life!

In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path! I am literally squealing in delight at this part. All of it just comes together so beautifully. It is interwoven into the most fundamental of requirements for us as children of God. When you trust God with all your heart and not lean on your understanding but instead acknowledge Him, He by default will direct your path! That right there is His response to this kind of faith in His character!

Maybe let’s define this word acknowledge. To acknowledge is a verb- a doing word!

verb: 1. Accept or admit the existence or truth of.
synonyms:
admit, accept, grant, allow, concede, accede to, confess, own, recognize
antonyms:
reject, deny




2. (of a body of opinion) recognize the fact or importance or quality of
So, to acknowledge God in all our ways would mean we accept the existence or truth of who God is and recognize His importance(key phrase being in all our ways). I’ll just let that sink in for a bit.

In every single one of our doings or our attempt at doings, we MUST accept the importance of God. That means accept His will and what He requires of us (which by the way is all stipulated in His word)!

When we have done all the above, God then directs our footsteps. Only when we have fulfilled the requirements or prerequisite of the blessing (of direction by God), do we create atmosphere/environment for Him to come and direct our affairs!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivalism- the concept

Not too many things in life crack me up as much as the arrivalist. The embodiment of the concept is immaturely grown up that it puzzles me; the paradox that is arrivalism. Maybe before we go too far, let’s try and define this thing. My use of the word arrivalism in this article describes the mentality or false feeling of accomplishment or reaching the top of the road in a particular field. A case in point would be the upcoming musician whose music starts to enjoy massive airplay across media platforms or the socialite who starts getting noticed by and featured in tabloids. That sudden sense of accomplishment (adrenaline rush kind of thing), that gets to the head of the individual feeling it- that right there is arrivalism. When what should be a possible pit stop in life’s journey becomes the final destination because of pride( or as we’d say in Uganda ‘posing’). It really is just extreme pride in an achievement that is probably not that big a deal and more often t

Does Femininity = Weakness?

'You are a very strong woman,' she remarked 'So you can easily handle people who try and walk all over you.' 'Um... Okay.' I mumbled trying to internalize her angle of this thing. Mel had been dealing with a 'disgruntled' male colleague and in the middle of their discourse, she burst into tears. Now, for some people that may be a natural response to frustration and to others, it is just foreign. We ask ourselves questions like 'who cries in public' or go ahead and remember statements like 'never give anyone the satisfaction of seeing your tears' Recently, my workplace was doing interviews and we posed the generic question; what is your weakness? and it turned out tears were the weakness for a few of the interviewees. Can the strength of God be made perfect in out tears and frustration? I think this article by Mategyero will help answer that question. 1Peter 3:7 says; Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge

TEENAGE PREGNANCY IN UGANDA

She got married at 15, had her first child at 16, then the other two at 18 and 19years of age respectively. So is the story of Nankya. Her marriage was arranged so that immediately she finished her primary school education she was married off. "When I was about to seat for PLE, a certain man came to my parents home in the village and I was asked to serve the visitor. Being my mother’s daughter I had been taught what to do and how to do it and mainly because I was the first girl I used to do a lot of housework. So, over the years I had perfected various skills. After the meal, my parents left me to talk to the man who then told me that he was going to marry me and make me his wife and the mother of his children. I was really happy because among my peers, I was the first to get married and that brought pride to my family." Nankya’s happiness however was short-lived as she became a slave to this man’s wants and desires and if she even as much as grumbled about